Sunday, April 4, 2010

Thinking About the Cross


This Easter was definitely different than any other I've ever experienced. Robert got a call last night (Sat in Japan) that he would be reporting to work at 6:45am on Easter Sunday morning and not to plan much else for the day. As I type, he's back at work (it's 9pm on Sunday here). I was saddened that he missed the lovely Easter service and that he had to make a last minute phone call to tell the sound guy he would not be making the service he had volunteered for, which I know he hated. Luckily for me some of our dear friends were kind enough to come pick me up for church. I found myself being angry at the Marines who decided to do some less than intelligent acts last night that caused Robert to have to work all day, and more than that I was angry that they didn't even care that it was Easter Sunday. As I sat down in my chair and began to enjoy the worship service at Koza (our church) and I began to forget about all that. Then as Pastor John started speaking I couldn't help but think how many times am I like those Marines I was despising earlier? How many times does God look at my actions and my words and feel shame or anger? How many times does he think to himself, "what the heck was she thinking?"

Then I started thinking about his forgiveness. I sat down this evening and begin reading Max Lucado's book He Chose the Nails if you've never read it, it's an amazing read especially this time of year. So many times we just focus on the cross this time of year, which don't get me wrong is good, but what about all everything else. Lucado brings it all to life:

What about the nails?
What about the crown of thorns?
What about the garments he was stripped of?
What about the the garments used for his burial?
What about the wine-soaked sponge?
What about the the two crosses beside Jesus?
What about the people mocking him?
What about the beatings he endured?
What about the taunting to prove he was God?
What about the spear that pierced his side?
What about the blood?

There's so much more that the cross entails. Sometimes we get so caught up in life and begin to think so highly of ourselves that we forget what we put our Lord through. I need his amazing grace today just as much as I did yesterday and I will need it everyday after. He chose the nails for me and for you. He chose the crown of thorns, the cross, the pain, the separation from the Father, the mockery of the people that once worshipped him, he chose it ALL. He didn't choose part of it, so why do I so often only give him part of me? I think one of the greatest things that stood out to me while reading through this book was Matt 25:40, "I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!" Basically, he's saying that how we treat OTHERS is how we treat JESUS. Now of course when I first read this, I thought about all the good I do for others (those friends I took to the airport, that person I babysat for last minute, that lady I made dinner for), but if I honestly evaluate I see things more clearly. I see the people that I don't always have time for, the people I talk badly about, the people I judge by appearance, basically the people that aren't easy for me to love. Needless to say, this was a humbling and challenging read for me. Even though today wasn't the ideal circumstance, I'm thankful for that time I had to reflect.

Like I said this Easter was definitely different than any Easter I've had yet, but it has been a blessed day! I'm thankful for so many things and Jesus's sacrifice is at the top of the list.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Max Lucado's books. He puts everything into such a good perspective. I haven't read this one though, so I will have to get it. I am glad that your Easter turned into a good one!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete