Monday, April 19, 2010

Things I didn't think of...

When Robert called me from work about 8 months ago and said, "Hey do you want to move to Okinawa...in January....this coming January?" I was a little shocked to say the least. We talked about the pros and cons. It was at the top of our list to live here while in the Marine Corps, but we had no idea it was going to be so soon. After much discussion we decided that God had obviously opened a door and that it was a huge blessing to move half way across the world this early in our marriage with no kids.

I soon started thinking about all the things they wouldn't have over here in Okinawa. The first thought the shopping...can you blame me? Now, Beaufort wasn't the best but at least there were outlets about 40 min away and Charleston was an hour north (oh how I miss you King St.!). However, things that I didn't think of was how my internet was going to change. We decided not to get cable, so I figured I'd just go online and watch my shows.....WRONG!



As you can see (or maybe you can't...the pics look kinda small...sorry). You can't watch shows on ABC, NBC, CBS, HULU...you name it you can't watch it because I'm outside U.S. Territories and they have an "agreement."


I was blindsided...I had such a good plan! No Office, no Big Bang Theory, No Grey's, no nothing! After several months of not watching these shows I can honestly say it's actually not that bad. Last night Robert and I sat down on the couch in front of the TV and READ...it was lovely :D

I also have to be careful with pricing on websites. Just the other day I was looking at vacuums (ours is acting really funny and smelling extremely weird when we use it). A couple of my friends swear by their Dyson's so I started pricing some. I knew they were expensive but I about fell out of my chair when I saw the price....then I realized it was listed in Yen and not US Dollars, big difference!


I was also shocked the first time I logged onto Google, Gmail and Blogger. It was in Japanese, after a few mistakes I finally figured it out. The best part is that Google changes with the holidays just like in the States except that it follows Japanese Holidays and famous Japanese people's birthdays...it's always a learning experience!


I'm definitely adjusting to living overseas and living on a military installation makes that transition so much smoother! I'm so thankful for great friends and family even though they are far away. We just got another box in the mail, this time from Robert's parents and sister...it's so much fun getting boxes especially when they're filled with American goodies! Thanks so much to everyone who's supported us whether through prayers or boxes in the mail, we greatly appreciate YOU!

(NOTE: You have to click on the pics to get the full effect.)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jana! I am so glad that I stumbled across your blog through the links over at The Idea Room! It's so great to see another USMC spouse in blogland. I just love your projects & your style is great! I smiled while reading this post, it's always an experience isn't it! I look forward to following your blog!

    Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashlee, thank you so much for you kind words! I'm so happy you found me on The Idea Room, I just love that blog. My husband's first duty station was Hawaii, I was only there a short while but we hope to make it back one day. I look forward to visiting your blog. Hope you enjoy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana, I'm really glad I found you too! I love your blog!! Hawaii is a fun place to be stationed, we're hoping to make it back here one more tour before the end of his career, as well as a tour in Japan. For now, we're heading to California at the end of the year. :-) My blog is a little sad right now, I'm going to put a post up today tho! I've been in a slew of packing craziness since we're moving to a new house! Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete