Thursday, July 15, 2010

No Sew Curtains Under $15!


I recently got a box of goodies from my parents and memom and in that box was yards upon yards of the most beautiful lace. Memom had cleaned out some of her old scraps and kindly decided to ship it to me!!! I was like a fat kid in a candy shop opening that box, ogling over all the beautiful material and thinking about what I could do with it. As you can see it was put to good use on a cost effective/much needed window treatment. I spend a good amount of time in the kitchen and I was getting tired of looking out this drab window that made me feel like I was in an institution. Don't get me wrong I'm thankful for this heavy duty beast of a window considering we've had two earth quakes since I've been here and we're currently in typhoon season, but it definitely needed a feminine touch.



I didn't want to spend much on this window treatment. We move at least every 3 years and who knows what size windows my next dwelling place will have? So I found some long curtain sheer panels on sale for $7 at our local Base Exchange and also picked up a tension rod for a whopping $5. I measured out the panels and divided them into 3 sections. The measurements were 18'', 14'' and 10''. 



I then used Stitch Witchery (love this stuff) to secure each layer. The 10'' is obviously in front, then the I attached the 14'' to the back of it and the 18'' was last. It was a bit tedious but easier than sewing  it (I'm not an expert sewer) considering the material likes to slide all over the place. 



Then I measured out my lace and used Stitch Witchery to attach it to each of the three layers. I also left a little excess at the each end and folded it behind each section and secured it to the back of the curtain sheer for a clean line.


Then all that was left was to put up my new, cost effective window treatment and watch as it brought some life and warmth to a drab place. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Love the curtains! Such a great use of Memom's lace, what a treasure to look at each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo cute! Gotta get me some stitch witch stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy...but it's definitely addicting :D

    ReplyDelete