Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Easter is on it's way!


This all started when my mother-in-law sent me a picture of her center piece she had done for Easter. It really got me motivated to start some seasonal decorating...thanks Dulcy! I found this great project from good ol Martha! I love the way these turned out. Above are the old silk ties that I used to dye eggs for Easter.


I used cotton balls to rub white vinegar on the outside of the eggs, I got better results when I did this.


Then you tie the silk (print side facing the egg) around the egg


Then use a white sheet or other white scrap material you might have to wrap around the silk


Then place them in a pot, I didn't have a glass or enamel pot like Martha called for, but this one worked just fine


You cover the eggs with water and then add 3 tbl spoons of white vinegar (i double that and got better results).


I brought to a boil and then let simmer for about 25-30 minutes. And this is what I got!


Very pretty patterns, I love how great the flower transferred, it's so clear!


The I wiped them down with some vegetable oil to add a little sheen


I had a cake plate I wasn't using so I filled it with dried split peas (keeps the eggs from rolling around and looks like spring) and arranged the eggs accordingly.


I just love it! I'm not a big pastel person, so these vibrant colors are fine by me!


I also made some twine eggs. I used plastic eggs and hot glued twine on them very carefully :D


I think it added a nice natural look


Happy Almost Easter Everyone!


1 comment:

  1. These are so darn cute! Too bad if I made them not only would they not turn out like this, but no one but Tate would see them. I envy your creativity. PS, I really want your Smithsonian salt and pepper shakers.

    ReplyDelete