Thursday, May 13, 2010

Two Great Reads for Military Wives


Since Robert has left for his "summer cruise" I've found myself reading more than ever. I've gone through two books since he left and am half way through another one. I realize everyone has different ways of coping with deployments and times apart in the military. Reading may not be your thing, I never in a million years thought it would be mine! I'm not much of a reader to begin with, outside of things that pertain to photography or design. I always told myself, "when I get out of school I'll read all the time, because it'll be for pleasure and not forced." Well I've been out of school for several years now and yes what....the Twilight series is probably the most I've read, as embarrassing as that is to admit, it's true.

My goal while Robert is gone is to fill my head with as much beneficial reading as possible. The first book I picked up, God + Military Spouse, I had skimmed through before and it was actually given to me by the author. I attended a small group bible study at a friend's house and she was there and gave me a copy of her book. She's a Navy wife that has survived many deployments and hardships that come with this lifestyle. Her book is an easy read that feels more like a conversation than anything else. She's passionate, I hope you didn't take the phrase an "easy read" to mean that it's not challenging material. Cline talks about certain things that we need to hear that we may not want to hear. Like the fact that God provides us with female friends to support us and lean on during deployments and separation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that for the 6+ months our husbands are gone we're not going to have contact with the opposite sex, but we need to be wise. Be aware of the situations that we put ourselves into, because that's exactly who's in control of our actions...us. I know some people will read that last few sentences and think I'm a prude, but if that's what it takes for my husband never to doubt my love and faithfulness to him and for me to not end up in a horrible situation, then hello...I'm Miss Prude!

The other book that I have absolutely fallen in love with is Hope for the Home Front. Marshele Carter Waddell has been married to a US Navy Seal for over 25 years and has been blessed with 3 children. If I had to sum her book up in a word it would be, honest. It was refreshing to hear an honest, Godly perspective on this crazy lifestyle. While reading her book, I couldn't help but think about Paul's words in 2 Corinthians 11. It's towards the end of the chapter, he's defending his apostleship and begins listing everything he's been through:

Imprisonments
Danger of death
Beatings of numerous kinds
Shipwrecked
Danger of robbers
Danger of his countrymen
Danger of the Gentiles
Danger of the city
Danger of the wilderness
Danger of the seas
Danger among false brethren
Labor
Hardships
Hungry
Thirsty
Exposed

The list goes on, but you get the idea. While reading this book I realized Waddell has quite an impressive list of deployments, injuries, moves, children, missed holidays, lost loved ones, lost friends, foreign countries, feeling lost, feeling depressed, feeling alone, disgusting living arrangements, small paychecks, and broken appliances, cars and whatever else you can image that always seem to happen when your spouse isn't around. She's more than capable to be writing this book and I'm grateful that she did. It takes someone like that who's been through all this and is still standing on the other side of it smiling and clinging to their faith to pass on their wisdom. As a young and fairly new military wife, it's great to dwell on the positive and God-centered truths that someone else can bring out of what could be devastating situations. This was an extremely encouraging read for me.

If you would have told me 4 years ago that I would one day be living in a foreign country and married to a US Marine, I can honestly say I wouldn't have believed you, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's easy but depending on God and not myself or even my husband for that matter, makes it easier. I definitely haven't perfected that last sentence, it's a constant struggle. I realize how blessed I am when I look around at the women who's husbands are gone far more frequent than mine and it's humbling. The pride that I have in my husband and what he stands for is unexplainable...and sight of him in his dress blues doesn't hurt either! ;D I hope that if you're in need of a good read you'll think about these books. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I'll be ordering these (amazon I hope) as soon as I get my terror down for a nap. The past couple of weeks have felt for torture so I could definitely use these right now!

    ReplyDelete